Monday, April 10, 2006

Ancient Ruins to Steepled Oxford

Liz and I headed off to Salisbury (Right)to catch a bus to Stonehenge and little did we know that later we really would be catching a bus. The weather was perfect and the rain was afraid of us, or just Liz, who I speculate brought the sunshine with her from LA.






I couldn't be happier that we decided to go to Stonehenge because it was debated on from all of the bad rumors of "it's not great, don't waste your time going." What?! These people and the guide books are crazy!











Stonehenge was amazing, plus we got 360˚ views and magnificent photos, got to be relatively close, the weather! was perfect, and we got audio guides for free that were very good for the history, myths, excavation work, etc; and my photos look like we were there on 4 different days.




After we finished our self-guided tour, Liz (Left, Liz and me) wanted to buy a book of the history. We only had 5 minutes remaining before our bus left, but I didn't want to be pushy so I told her not to worry and buy the book. Oops! We walked out from the gift shop, "Is that our Double Decker?!" I shouted, pointing at is ascending up the hill toward the highway.



Well, it would have been fine if we missed it because we just could have taken another later, but can you imagine spending all day or maybe all week trying to locate your backpacks?! Yes, we left our bags on the bus because they were way too heavy and it wouldn't have been as enjoyable lugging those around the ancient ruins. ----I started sprinting up the hill, arms flailing in the air, Liz behind me, and I'm yelling, "WAIT!!!! WAAAIIIITTTT!!!! Stop that bus! WAAIIIITTTT! Our bags are on there." Like the bus driver could actually hear me, but it made me run faster with a stronger determination. However, he must've seen us running because he stopped just as his wheels reached the highway pavement. "You the girls with the backpacks?" "Hu, hu, hu, pant, breath, gasp for air, yessss. Thanks." Phewww!!! Close call. As we walked up to the 2nd floor, shaking, a torrential rainstorm came pelting down sounding like nails as it hit the red bus; thank goodness we made it in time to be out of that too.



Upon arrival back in Salisbury, the storm let up. Great timing! We walked in the park and saw the cathedral (Beginning Photo) before our train took us to Oxford (Left).






Beautiful spires, magnificent college, and great nightlife. The only problem when we left the next day was that Liz didn't leave for London as planned because she had food poisoning; sad! I took care of her for the day and she assured me to leave for my cousin's place, Rowan, in Worcester. She called me later that night to let me know that she was A-Okay! Good.






Rowan and I had a great time getting to know each other and discovering that we must be long lost twins. We really hit it off and were very excited to set foot in Ireland. The next day after touring the city by running, I headed to Birmingham to see one of my friends that I met in France when she was living there and doing the same job as I. We had a good time too!






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home